Now that we’re officially into Spring marathon season, I have a question for all of you:
What’s your favorite type of running workout?
- Long Run
- Tempo Run
- Hill Workout
- Yasso 800s
- Mile Repeats
- Progressive Run
- Something else I’ve never heard of?
Which is your fave? (Image courtesy of oiselle.com)
I’d have to say that my absolute hands-down favorite is the Tempo Run.
I dig having a longer run where I have a chance to warm up and then kick a little butt for some miles and then cool down. I always feel like my cool down miles seem SO much easier than ever before and they’re usually 8-8:15s.
What I love the most about Tempo Runs is that they give my confidence. I sometimes struggle to find a happy pace, but once I do I remember than I CAN run that tempo. When the cool down miles are a piece of cake–they are really around marathon pace–I start to believe I CAN reach my goals.
I’ve shied away from hard work in the past, but that’s the old me. Maybe that’s why I dig Tempo runs so much more now: I’m not afraid to work hard and feel uncomfortable. After all, if I want to achieve what I’ve never done before, I gotta step outside of my comfort zone to do it, right?
Don’t go away so fast! Tell me what your favorite type of run is in the comments and be entered to win one of my favorite run accessories: a Sparkly Soul Headband for your next awesome workout! THREE winners will be chosen at random and announced this Friday.
Now go out and run!
First off, GO BIG BLUE!!! The Giants win again! You should have heard the city from my apartment last night as the game ended. Wow. So loud!
Second, I hope everyone in Denver has managed to shovel their way out of the 2 feet (!!!!) of snow from this weekend. I spent my weekend showing The Golden Child and Ginger around our fair city. So much fun!
Speaking of fun, have you nominated your favorite workout buddy, an inspiring athlete you know, or your Mom/sister/daughter/trainer/crazy running buddy in my Sparkly Soul giveaway yet? Pay it forward and tell them how they add sparkle to your world by entering them in my contest.
So, I was tagged by Katie recently with this little blogger game that’s going around. I’m supposed to tell all of you 11 Random Things about me and answer 11 Questions from Katie and then tag 11 other bloggers. I like games and figure it doesn’t ever hurt to share weird things about myself with perfect strangers, so here goes!
- Post these rules.
- You must post 11 random things about yourself.
- Answer the questions set for you in their post.
- Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
- Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them.
- No stuff in the tagging section like “you are tagged if you are reading this”. You (the blogger) legitimately have to tag 11 (or so) people.
11 Random Things About Me:
- I have 40 first cousins.
- I have run marathons in 5 different states.
- My left foot is exactly 1/2 size bigger than my right (makes shoe shopping interesting…).
- I don’t have cable TV.
- My favorite guilty pleasure is vanilla cake with vanilla frosting from just about any bakery in NYC.
- I have never owned a car.
- This is my 17th semester of college.
- I can sing the ABC’s in French.
- I run faster now than I ever did as a competitive runner in my youth.
- I can wiggle my ears.
- I have been pooped on by pigeons twice in my 10 years of living in New York. I look at it as being baptized a “New Yorker”.
11 Questions from Katie:
I have always loved monkey-ing around.
- When did you start running? When I was 10 years old on the track team. The next Fall my friend asked if I wanted to run cross country instead of joining volleyball. I said “yes” and the rest is history.
- What monopoly piece do you always pick? I like the top hat.
- What is your favorite pre-race meal? I usually make my own: Chicken, zucchini, squash, spinach and rigatoni pasta sautéed in garlic and olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Disney or Nickelodeon as a kid? Disney. We were big Kids Incorporated/Mickey Mouse Club fans.
- What is your favorite race fuel? I’ve tried them all and found I love the strawberry Clif Shot Bloks.
- What did you want to be when you grow up as a kid? Abby, age 5: Favorite class? “Gym.” Abby, age 15: “Something in sports medicine.” I guess I was destined to be a physical therapist.
- What do you want to be now? Physical therapist and philanthropist.
- What is the best place you’ve ever lived? “Best” is a relative term. New York City is my home. Colorado is where I think of my family as being. Chicago is my childhood.
- What is the best route you’ve ever run? I have always loved that when I move to a new city that my first run is a mystery. I go out and get lost and find my way back home. I love those runs.
- What TV show is your guilty pleasure? I just powered through the entire first season of Downton Abbey. I could NOT stop watching it. Such good writing, acting, just everything!
- What is your favorite non-running blog? This is probably more of a “guilty pleasure” than any of my TV choices, but I love the gossip blog Lainey Gossip. Such smut but extremely entertaining.
Anna Karenina = Old School Smut
As for my fellow bloggers, here are your 11 Questions:
- What was your best race (for whatever reason)?
- What is your favorite place to go for retail therapy?
- What is your favorite color?
- If you could go anywhere for a vacation, where would you go?
- Best piece of advice you ever received?
- What would your friends say is your most redeeming quality?
- How did you start blogging?
- Twitter or Facebook?
- What is your pre-race ritual?
- Woody Allen movies: Yay or Nay?
- Favorite book you’ve read in the last few years.
So, there you have it. Now it’s your turn. Answer one (or more!) of the above questions in the comments and tell me about yourself! OR, ask me anything.
Now go out and run!