You guys, OMG, Happy Friday!
Friday is my favorite day AND I’m off to work out with my friend. Hip-hip HOORAY! for Friday. Now here’s what’s going on around the fitness world:
- Good on them: New York Sports Club, Boston Sports Club, Washington Sports Club, and Philadelphia Sports Club gyms will be opening their doors for free whenever the temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Speaking of deals, did you hear Revolve Fitness has summer rates? Woohoo! They also have a Spotify account where you can stalk them for new workout tunes.
- Good sportsmanship is always nice to see.
- Trade in your Garmin and get $50 thru July 31st. Thanks for the head’s up, Hillz.
- Do you take barre classes? Kindly complete this survey for my friend Stephanie, pretty please. And if you are a runner, you NEED to speak your mind about running shorts.
- My friend Lamar was interviewed for his participation in the NYC Triathlon. Oh, and he’s visually impaired but kicks butt! And so does Amy who is wicked fast! Go Achilles!
- In other news, sprinter Tyson Gay tested positive for a banned substance. Boo. Hiss. I have no patience for this kind of mess.
- Oiselle released their manifesto. It is awesome.
- Joan Benoit Samuelson has a blog. Only one post, but STILL.
- Can you guess which state has the most marathons?
- A good lesson for us all to learn from the one and only Kara Goucher.
- So, losing weight helps men perform better in the Ironman but NOT women.
- In other weight-related news, the AMA has officially classified obesity as a disease. Discuss.
- Athletes at a higher volume of training don’t compensate with more rest.
- Top Kenyan athletes are primarily ectomorphic (lighter, slender). Shocker.
- Good news! A fascinating study looks at propensity toward injuries with over/under-pronation vs. neutral foot strike.
Did I miss anything? Who did the A to Z survey and didn’t tell me? Who’s racing this weekend? New Yorkers: the Boomer 10K is now a fun run 4-miler, FYI. Anyone else have a race this weekend? Stay safe out there, runners!
Now go out and run.