Confession: I don’t really want to look back on this year. I mean, I DO because it’s over and I’m happy about that but I DON’T because whenever I think about it, I cry.
And not pretty cry. I ugly cry about it.
It seems like a far-off nightmare that I have only just recently woken from to realize that I have my life back and can do the things I like/want to do instead of planning my day around bathrooms and getting shot up with poison.
Instead, I prefer to say I learned a lot of stuff in 2012.
- I learned that my husband is THE BEST.
- I learned that sickness can bring people together & make relationships stronger.
- I learned who my friends are, cliché but true.
- I learned that father-daughter bonding happens over the strangest conversations.
- I learned where every single bathroom in Central Park is located & which I prefer.
- I learned that videos of my niece make me smile even while drugged up post-op.
- I learned that I am smarter than I give myself credit for.
- I learned that a mother’s instinct extends well beyond childhood.
- I learned that flowers & cards make me happy when I’m blue.
- I learned that I am only limited by myself.
- I learned that scars don’t matter so much as the story behind them.
- I learned that Twitter & Facebook can be places of great support.
- I learned that there is life both in & after sickness.
- I learned that my brothers & sisters are seriously awesome.
- I learned that I love running more than I thought I did.
I learned that change is a part of life but it’s what I do with the opportunities I’m given that will define me.
I’m ready for 2013 and all the adventures it holds, including: no fewer than 2 new babies, 4 weddings (& counting…), my first clinical rotation, several half-marathons, a 200 mile relay, and maybe another 26.2 to round out my total to 10.
What did YOU learn in 2012? What are your goals for 2013?
Happy New Year!
Now go out and run.