“I am feeling very Olympic today.” Name the movie. Anyone?
I am alone in my Olympic geeky-ness. Well, not entirely. The Twittersphere is abuzz with Olympic Trial spirit as our best distance runners duke it out down in Houston, Texas this weekend for the coveted marathon spots at the London 2012 Games. Kara, Meb, Ryan, Deena and so very many more will toe the line for 6 spots (3 women, 3 men) on Team USA.
Sadly for us running geeks out there, the Trials will NOT be televised NOR will they be streaming live ANYWHERE. Thankfully, there are fabulous people who have traveled down to Houston to help us out.
- Runner’s World will be live blogging and Tweeting as much as possible.
- New York Athletic Club will also be throwing down updates on Twitter, but probably NYAC athlete-heavy.
- Did YOU want to go to the Trials? Oh, here is what you would have had to do.
- The Lehmkuhles are both headed to the trials. That’s cool. JB and I will be sitting on the couch.
- Here’s a breakdown of the Men’s and Women’s fields for Saturday, in case you are unfamiliar with how unpredictable this race could be.
- Everything else you need/want to know is here.
And my predictions? Deena, Shalane, and Desi for the women and Meb, Ryan, and Brett for the men.
Now for the rest of the Fitness News!
- So, the yoga world is in an upheaval this week. Even I got in on the discussion. Well, NY Magazine and NY Times both published anti-yoga articles and both Regelin and Black had something to say about their respective interviews.
- Lululemon founder and CEO Chip Wilson stepped down from his position this week. No scandal, he’s still the Chairman of the Board of Directors for the company and your favorite yoga pants won’t be affected.
- This breakdown of the difference between male and female runners is both hilarious and true.
- Hostess filed for bankruptcy. Again. I’m not their biggest fan. So long as Entemann’s is still up and running, I’m cool. Mmmm…crumb top donuts.
- This firefighter will run the MARATHON PORTION OF A TRIATHLON in full firefighter gear 27 TIMES THIS YEAR. If that doesn’t call for all-caps, I don’t know what does.
- Virtual Anatomy. Cool.
- What’s it like at the Biggest Loser Ranch/Resort? Find out. Does this make you want to go?
- If you’re in the NYC area on February 12th, come ride at Flywheel Sports for Michael J. Fox’s charity, Team Fox. Do it.
Wow. That was a lot of news. I wonder if any of you read to the end of this? Well, if you did, allow me to share a bit of good news with you. I received my first, and hopefully not only, call for an interview at a school for their Doctorate of Physical Therapy program. VERY exciting since it’s my school of choice. Fingers crossed, everybody!
And thank you all who voted for me for Best New Run Blogger on the Run Chat Awards. I did not win but it’s an honor just to be nominated, right (plaster fake smile on my face)? Seriously, congratulations to those who won. I will fight you to the death next year.
What are your marathon predictions for tomorrow? Do these anti-yoga articles dissuade you from hitting up your favorite studio? Will you miss Twinkies when they’re gone? Tell me all about it.
Now go out and run!