Happy Friday, everyone! The media is littered with “how to conquer your resolutions” and “lose those holiday pounds” articles. I am not a fan of New Year’s resolutions. For those of you who dig them, more power to you and I hope you have great success in 2012. I’d love to know how it works for you.
For those of you who, like me, make goals year-round, the New Year is when the gyms are packed to the gills for about six weeks and then they dwindle right back out with the frigid February days. Well, I returned from my Christmas vacation and was back to work on Wednesday this week. I walked into this:
I turned the lights on in BOTH gyms I trained in that morning. No one was there and very few people showed up in the hour that I was there. Sooooo…maybe there aren’t so many New Year’s Resoluionists in the gyms these days? What have you seen?
Now onto the news!
- This is hilarious and worth reading.
- Trouble getting to the gym? There’s an app for that and skipping the gym will cost you $5.
- Vegan bodybuilders are making their presence known.
- The US Olympic Trials in the Marathon are next weekend. So exciting!
- Gadgets to help you keep track of calories burned and consumed.
- You can buy space on 800m runner Nick Symmonds’ left shoulder for your Twitter handle. Discuss.
- According to CNN, some doctors are going broke.
- This title is misleading. Ice is not “bad” for sore muscles. Read the study. Icing doesn’t help the athlete get back to performing at peak levels within 20 minutes of icing. You don’t say. An injured athlete’s muscles aren’t ready to go back in the game post-injury and icing? Oy.
- Looking for a new endurance fitness challenge this year? Look no further.
- The state of Georgia has launched a daring childhood obesity campaign. Too much or just what we need?
- These are the Top 100 Running Blogs of 2012. I’m not on this list. It’s ok, I’m still new. I’ll be on it next year!
- Jillian Michaels is out on “The Doctors.” Gosh, I hope so since she’s NOT A DOCTOR.
- You can get hurt doing yoga. I’ve seen it and heard firsthand accounts of both acute and overuse injuries in yogis.
- The ING NYC Marathon has raised the entrance fee to offset having to reimburse the city for the cost of NYPD and other emergency services they provide on Marathon Sunday. As a NYC taxpayer and someone who has run this particular marathon twice, I’m ok with this. Are you?
Good luck to all who are down in Orlando running the various Disney half-marathons and the full marathon. It seems as though Mother Nature has smiled on all of you and granted you some warm weather for your races. Have a great run!
Who else is racing this weekend? Anybody looking to PR? New distance for you? Tell me all about it.
Now go out and run.