Oh boy, Philly is TWO DAYS AWAY. I am doing marathon “prep” all day today, in every way I know how and some I’m not going to share. I’m really looking forward to the big day. I feel rested, relaxed (sort of…) and the new drugs have kicked in so I am ready to rock! Even Mother Nature wants me to PR on Sunday!
Thank you in advance, Mother Nature, for the very mild weather. I plan on wearing my crops, a blue tank top, a white pullover and a ponytail-braid. Look for me! I am also the girl who puts her name on her shirt, so I shouldn’t be too hard to find.
I am lucky enough to have my husband and two very awesome lululemon friends coming to cheer me on. The local lululemon store has cheer stations at miles 16 and 22.5, exactly where I need them. I just hope I don’t shame the family.
Anyway, there’s a bunch of cool science stuff happening in the world of fitness this week so let’s get right to what you might’ve missed!
- Did you know that the New York City lululemon athleticas are hosting a 5K Turkey Trot on Wednesday, November 23rd at 6pm? *Costumes encouraged* Well you do now! Join us. There will be prizes for first finishers, best costume and everyone who comes gets a free pass to my favorite studio, Flywheel Sports. Oh yeah, I’ll be dressed as turkey, feathers and all.
- In terms of muscular regeneration after strength training exercise, you’re better off eating 25 grams of protein in one sitting than slowly ingesting it over time.
- To all you using Kinesio Tape for patellofemoral pain syndrome, it’s not helping with the knee, but it IS helping with the hamstring tightness.
- Congress thinks tomato paste is significant enough to be counted as a vegetable on pizza. Congratulations, Congress, you have just declared yourselves morons (again).
- This woman’s husband just got a new heart that’s officially beating on its own. Wanna cry? Watch her reaction.
- Why losing the weight is only half the battle.
- Once again, the NY Times is stealing my thunder with an article about stretching. Hey, I appreciate the backing up, guys.
- Running is mental. Don’t check out every time you hit the pavement.
- Hip impingement (often leading to a torn labrum) is a growing injury in the running world, but is surgery really the best option?
- Is it really almost Christmas? Jeez. I’d better get on the stick with the presents. Here are some ideas for the fitness ladies in your life. More on this topic next month.