I’m the biggest fan of track workouts. Last summer, it was Track Tuesdays and I would meet my (MUCH faster) friends Birdie and Minnie and they would lap me while I do my favorite workout.
Best part about a track workout is that it’s broken up and none of the sections last very long. This workout is my favorite because it hits lots of different gears and makes me feel strong in the end.
- 2 mile warm-up (super easy and relatively slow)
- 4 x 200 meter sprints (200 meter jog in between repeats)
- 3 x 400 meter sprints (200 meter jog in between repeats)
- 2 x 800 meter hard tempo (400 meter jog in between)
- 1 x 1 mile all-out
- 1-2 mile cool down (relaxed pace)
This is a surprisingly long workout that goes by very quickly when you take one repeat at a time.
3 things to remember are:
- Maintain the same pace for each repeat in the set (all 400s the same pace, all 800s the same pace, etc).
- Your pace should be fastest for the 200s and slowest for the mile, not the same throughout the entire workout.
- Maintaing the pace through each lap in the 800s and mile is also key.
This workout is designed to get you in shape, help you find your true comfortable pace, and to find different gears in your pace. And isn’t it nice to mix it up a little on the oval?
Now go out and run.