We are officially one week into my CRAAAAAAZZZZZZY eight weeks of summer school and I am officially a study machine. You know those kids who studied every single day in college and didn’t go out for drinks or join the intramural softball team with you? Yeah, I didn’t know those kids either, but they’re all doctors now. I have joined their club.
And I like it.
You know what else I like? My new little .95 mile loop around my apartment. It’s close to home at any given place and mostly flat. Surprise of my life: my new body doesn’t really like downhills. I was maybe also abducted by aliens during my surgery. Aliens who made my body frown at the sight of a decline.
There’s other stuff going on in the world this week besides school and my little 2-mile shuffles. And here it is:
- With lifting, there’s a point when your muscles just can’t do it and another when your brain just can’t do it.
- Hobie Call is pretty full of himself. Oh, and he thinks he can break the 2 hours in a marathon.
- Ludwick Mamabolo, winner of the 2012 Comrades, has tested positive for a banned substance. Maybe he had a cold?
- In other doping news, Outside magazine takes a look at the case against Lance Armstrong.
- Exercise: more than a feeling. Cue Boston.
- Let’s all say it together: “Squats are good for you.”
- One of the men behind the recent “excessive exercise is bad for you” articles does a Q & A. Oh, he’s a marathoner, by the way.
- A father and son duo walking across America for their health. So. Much. Yes.
- Kids do better in school when they have 3 or more P.E. classes per week. SO WHY ARE WE CUTTING THEM IN THE U.S.?
- A look a the vegan diet for athletes.
- Six signs you should seek out a new route for rehab (or just a new doc). Me: No progress –> new doctor.
- Real women on weights. I wouldn’t want to meet any of them in a back alley.
- Burgers are Photoshopped for advertisements. “Does this cheese make me look fat?”
- This article is from 2008 but since it’s summertime, I thought I’d trot out the PLEASE STOP WEARING FLIP-FLOPS article for you.
- Western States 100-miler starts on Saturday. No thanks, but good luck everyone!
- Olympians eat a lot. Yeah, and they also train 6 hours a day.
- There is little evidence that those knee braces you’re wearing on your run are actually helping…
- …and neither is that pacer you’re trailing.
- And last, but certainly not least, team up with Women’s Health in their Run 10 Feed 10 program. So awesome.
Ok, guys. Be safe out there in the heat and have a great weekend. Who’s racing? Who’s running? I’m shuffling :) Anybody watching the Olympic Track & Field Trials in Oregon? Good luck to all the athletes!
Now go out and run!